Jesus said, “I can do nothing on my own initiative or authority. Just as I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just (fair, righteous, unbiased), because I do not seek My own will, but only the will of Him who sent Me. John 5:30
In the Gospel of John, our Lord Jesus taught us a very important truth. He lived a life totally and completely dependent on the Spirit and the desires of His Father. He emphasized the point that He could and would not do anything of His own volition, desires, or will apart from His Father’s voice. Jesus taught us the importance of what it meant to be dependent on the Spirit of God as we were created to live.
In the New Testament, the Apostle Paul taught us similar truths. Paul wrote to the Philippians:
Philippians 4:13 – I can do ALL things [which He has called me to do] through Him who strengthens and empowers me [to fulfill His purpose—I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency; I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him who infuses me with inner strength and confident peace.]
Philippians 2:13 – For it is [not your strength, but it is] God who is effectively at work in you, both to will and to work [that is, strengthening, energizing, and creating in you the longing and the ability to fulfill your purpose] for His good pleasure.
The scriptures teach us, now that Christ lives in us, the same Christ who carried out His Father’s will and purposes in the Gospels lives within us to live out the will of God in our lives! JESUS CHRIST IS THE LIVING WORD, AND EVERYTHING WRITTEN IN THE SCRIPTURES FOR US TO OBEY HE CAN AND WILL OBEY THROUGH US… IF WE ALLOW HIM TO.
We are united to Christ as ONE, never separated from Him. By calling on His name and turning inwardly to Him, we can draw from His life which is ours forever.
I Corinthians 6:17 – But the one who is united and joined to the Lord ONE spirit with Him.
Because of our Oneness and intimate relationship with Christ and the Holy Spirit, we CAN:
- Say “No” to sin and the impulses of the flesh within us, also to the flesh speaking through others. (Roman 8: 12)
- Say “No” to all ungodliness and hold to that which is of love and good. (Romans 12:9)
- Submit to God and resist the evil one (stand firm against him) he will flee from us. (James 4:7)
- Allow Christ’s unconditional love to live through us: Christ’s Love endures with patience and serenity, love is kind and thoughtful, and is not jealous or envious; love does not brag and is not proud or 5 It is not rude; it is not self-seeking, it is not provoked [nor overly sensitive and easily angered]; it does not take into account a wrong endured. 6 It does not rejoice at injustice, but rejoices with the truth [when right and truth prevail]. 7 Love bears all things [regardless of what comes], believes all things [looking for the best in each one], hopes all things [remaining steadfast during difficult times], endures all things [without weakening]. (I Corinthians 13: 1-7)
- Forgive from our hearts those who use, abuse, and say all manner of evil against us because Christ has forgiven all of our sins. (Colossians 3:13)
- Yield our hearts to Christ to receive from Him everything we need pertaining to getting our natural and spiritual needs met. (Philippians 4:19)
Finally, because we are loved and adored by our Lord Jesus Christ, our Father, and the Holy Spirit who are ONE with us, WE CAN: throw, cast, and give all our cares [all our anxieties, all our worries, and all our concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares about us [with deepest affection, and watches over us very carefully]. (I Peter 5:7)
What an awesome joy and privilege it is to know I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH YOU LORD JESUS WHO EMPOWERS AND STRENGTHENS ME!