IN Everything Give Thanks: for this is the WILL of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. I Thessalonians 5:18
As I read this scripture above, one word jumps off the page, “IN.” I don’t know about you but I haven’t given the Lord thanks “IN” everything, situation, or circumstances I have walked through. Matter of fact, it has taken me years not to grumble, pout, wish away, pray away, murmur, or complain my way through them. I often acted like a spoiled little brat or a knucklehead when I faced trials, sickness, stress, or situations I didn’t like. I know, I should have put on a spiritual façade and said, “Praise God, He will work it out,” but inwardly, still be anxious, fearful, fretting, or depressed. Yes, I tried that for a little while but my mask kept falling off.
What I have learned over the years is to talk to the Lord and tell Him exactly what I was thinking and feeling. And, guess what? He already knew. In being open and honest, what I discovered is this, He responded to me with such grace, love, and understanding! We didn’t see eye to eye a lot of times, but eventually, I came around to His wisdom and purposes for the circumstances. No, my circumstances didn’t always change, however, I was changed by the circumstances for good. So being honest and open with our Lord allows Him to reveal some wonderful truths. Here are a few that came to my heart:
- The scripture never said, “Tresca give thanks FOR everything, BUT, IN everything, because I am using this circumstance for your good.”
- Instead of blaming others, pouting or complaining about my circumstance, I ask the Lord, “Lord are you trying to teach me something through this situation?” Most of the time yes. He was asking me, who will I trust more, Him or my circumstance?
- The Will of God, which is, conforming my whole being into the Oneness I have with Christ within me, is not always pleasant. Matter of fact, it is downright painful! That’s why many will not go through the disciplining of the Father.
- I may not get what I want, but He will always provide me with what I need.
- He is a Perfect Father, who loves to give good gifts to His children. I may not like the wrapping paper my gift comes in but when I open it and embrace it, it will change me.
- He is not manipulated by my begging, my tears, nor my promises. He moves according to His purposes and His plans.
- He loves when I trust Him, but my unbelief never deters His promises to me. HE IS WHO HE SAYS HE IS AND WILL DO WHATEVER HE SAYS HE WILL DO.
- I am His FOREVER, no matter what and nothing in the universe will ever change that.
Give Thanks Because of Who He Is…
Loving– “See what great LOVE the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!” 1 John 3:1
Kind – “So that in the ages to come, He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in KINDNESS toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.” Ephesians 2:7-8
Compassionate – “The Lord is COMPASSIONATE and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.” Psalm 103:8
Giving– “For God so loved the world that He GAVE His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16
Faithful – “The Lord’s lovingkindness indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your FAITHFULNESS.” Lamentations 3:22-23
Merciful – “But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in MERCY, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.” Ephesians 2:4-5
Strong – “Who is this King of glory? The Lord STRONG and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle.” Psalm 24:8
Forgiving– “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will FORGIVE us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9
Forgave Us – “When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh worldliness, manner of life), God made you alive together with Christ, having [freely] FORGIVEN us all our sins…” Colossians 2:13
Good – “Give thanks to the Lord, for He is GOOD. His love endures forever.” Psalm 136:1
Righteous– “The Lord is RIGHTEOUS in all his ways and faithful in all he does.” Psalm 145:17
Caring– “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?” Matthew 6:26
Not just during Thanksgiving Season but today and every day, I will give thanks to my Ever living, Ever loving, Ever gracious, and merciful Father (Papa), Lord Jesus, and Holy Spirit. For over the 40 years of our journey together they have been FAITHFUL to all of their promises to me. So, no matter what comes my way, sickness, health, friendship, or friendlessness, abundance, or lack, I will give thanks for this is THE WILL OF MY FATHER IN EVERYTHING CONCERNING ME… what about you?