This is an interesting question Jesus asked a young lady years ago when she asked a sister in Christ for prayer. She asked Jesus to bless her business and add more clients. Sounds like a very sensible thing to ask, right? Little do you know is, whenever things didn’t go her way, she just wanted a quick fix out of her situation. Does this sound familiar? Jesus had been trying to get her attention through the difficulties in her life but instead of turning to Him for what’s on His heart, and why she was facing so many challenges, she just asked Him for a way out. Those words pierced my own heart and made me examine my own motives! I never forgot those words. I can tell you where I was when I heard the story. Today, Jesus is asking this question again…“Do you want my hands or my heart?”
Let’s examine this question before we answer. In the scriptures, we find a lot of people followed Jesus or became acquainted with Jesus just for His Blessings and nothing more. They heard about a man who could work miracles, fix their problems, and do amazing things. Let’s just look at a few.
THE HANDS OF JESUS – HIS BLESSINGS
John 2:1-11 – The wedding host ran out of wine and what did Jesus do? He took ordinary water and turned it into wine.
John 4:46-47 – Jesus healed a nobleman’s son.
Luke 5:1-11 – Peter’s fishing business was in trouble, he hadn’t caught a single fish all day. Jesus told him to lower the net on the opposite side of the boat and Peter and his crew caught so many fish they could barely get the net back into the boat.
Mark 1:30-31 – Peter’s mother-in-law was sick and Jesus healed her.
Matthew 8:23-27 – Jesus calmed the raging storm that affected the lives of His disciples.
Matthew 14:15-21 – When Jesus’ disciples were hungry, He fed them and over 5000 guests with just two fish and five barley loaves of bread. The crowd went wild!
There are so many more things Jesus did as He blessed His people. Our Lord has and will bless us because He loves us. We never have to worry about His blessings because He said, “I will supply all of your needs.” Like the people we read about in the scriptures, Jesus will;
- Make a way for us when things look impossible.
- Heal our spirits, souls, and bodies.
- Manage the struggles and stresses of our business, if we allow Him to.
- Take care of the needs of our families, if we would only trust Him and let Him do so.
- Calm the raging storms in our lives, whether it be spiritually or emotionally, when we let Him.
- And, feed our hungry bodies and souls.
So, the question Jesus asks us today is, since we know He will provide and supply our every need, will we leave the shallow waters of His blessings and launch out deeper to KNOW HIS HEART?
JESUS GAVE UP HIS LIFE, TO GIVE US HIS LIFE, TO BE WITH US, AND TO HAVE INTIMACY WITH US…But is He enough?
TO KNOW HIS HEART
- Is to listen to what’s on His mind and heart each day.
- Is to inquire on what’s important to Him.
- Is to turn to Him, He is our wisdom and shepherd in our lives.
- Is to trust Him and allow Him to make the crooked paths straight.
- Is to rest in His arms when situations overwhelm us and we want to run away or figure out situations on our own.
- Is to allow Him to live His life through us.
- Finally, it is allowing Him to fully possess our “Will.” In every situation, we learn to say…”Not as I will, BUT YOUR WILL LORD JESUS BE DONE.”
“NO GOOD THING WILL HE WITHHOLD FROM THOSE WHO LOVE HIM.” Psalm 84:11
ENJOY HIM AND ENJOY LIFE!