When I was talking to the Lord about our blog for this week, He brought a passage of scripture to my heart. There are many who believe because I say, “I am a Christian, I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior” but live as they please; “I am following the Lord.” Here is how Jesus defines His TRUE followers in Luke 6: 46-49 (Amplified Bible).
Jesus was performing miracles and was popular in that day and time. Many people wanted to be recognized as being a follower of the Messiah. So one day, Jesus turned to the crowd and said;
“Why do you call Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not practice what I tell you? 47 Everyone who comes to Me and listens to My words and obeys them, I will show you whom he is like. 48 He is like a [far-sighted, practical, and sensible] man building a house, who dug deep and laid a foundation on the rock; and when a flood occurred, the torrent burst against that house and yet could not shake it, because it had been securely built and founded on the rock.
49 But the one who has [merely] heard and has not practiced [what I say], is like a [foolish] man who built a house on the ground without any foundation, and the torrent burst against it; and it immediately collapsed, and the ruin of that house was great.”
In another passage of scripture, Jesus was warning the people:
“Beware of the false prophets, [teachers] who come to you dressed as sheep [appearing gentle and innocent], but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them [that is, by their contrived doctrine and self-focus]. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the unhealthy tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore, by their fruit you will recognize them [as false prophets].
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who DOES THE WILL of My Father who is in heaven.
22 Many will say to Me on that day [when they stand before Me], ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, and driven out demons in Your name, and done many miracles in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them publicly, ‘I never knew you (there was never intimacy between us); depart from Me [you are banished from My presence], you who act wickedly [disregarding My commands].’ Matthew 7:15-23 (Amplified Bible).
Wow, Jesus spoke right to the heart of the matter! Today and forever it is not merely about believing in Him is it? It is also about listening to His heart and obeying whatever He says. Jesus says, “If you truly love me, like you say you do, then you WILL keep my commandments to you and obey Me.” John 14:15.
We call Jesus our Lord but do we really understand what it means? Let’s Behold Jesus Christ the Lord of lords Living Within Us.
To behold means to fix our eyes upon; to give great attention to,
and to observe with care.
In the Strong’s Concordance, the word Lord is defined as:
He to whom a person or thing belongs, about which he has the power of DECIDING; master, lord.
- The possessor and disposer of a thing.
- The owner; one who has control of the person, their master.
- In the state: the sovereign, prince, chief, the Roman emperor.
- It is a title of honor expressive of respect and reverence, with which servants greet their master.
- This title is given to God, Jesus Christ the Messiah.
We are owned by Jesus Christ; He purchased us from the enemy of our souls with His precious blood…WE ARE NOT OUR OWN TO DO WHAT WE WANT OR PLEASE!
Another way of defining the Lord is by understanding Jesus as “The Boss of Me; He has the first and final word on everything in my life.”
There are many commands Jesus our Lord says to us each day, here are just a few:
- Come to Me – I live within you; when you are burdened, weary, anxious, confused, worried; let me refresh you. (Matthew 11:28)
- Cast Your Cares on Me – Let me carry the struggles you are wrestling with. I already know your thoughts and feelings about everything, let Me handle them. (I Peter 5:7)
- Fear Not – Give your fears to me, one by one. I didn’t give them to you, so give them to Me as we walk through your unknowns together. I am your strength; it’s okay to feel weak and vulnerable. (Isaiah 41:10)
- Nothing Happens to You Without Coming through the Father, then through Me – Always remember, I am in you, and you are in Me, and we are forever ONE. (John 14:20) Your life is hidden with Me in God! (Colossians 3:3)
- Trust My Ways With You – Circumstances will not always go as you plan. But they will go as I plan if you will trust Me and turn inwardly to Me for clarity and direction. All things will work out for GOOD because I promised they will…I CAN NEVER LIE. (Romans 8:38)
Today’s blog is a gentle reminder that saying Jesus is my Lord and Savior is not enough. Jesus has defined for us in His Word His requirements for His TRUE followers allowing Him to be their Lord. They have been born-again into a NEW way of looking at life, through His eyes. Also, those who follow Jesus Christ as Lord of their life, all around this world, have paid a great price. They have lost everything they treasure, including their WILLS, (allowing not my will, but Your will be done, Lord) to love, and obey Him at any cost.
Will you love and obey Him no matter the cost? Will you trust Him as Your Lord, today and every day?
Enjoy Christ and Enjoy Life!